Version 3.6.3 adds new feature: “Image Tools”. It is under the “Tools” node in the project tree view.
For now it contains only one tool: “Move Images To The Library”. This tool allows you to move all embedded topic images to the image library, optionally converting them to the desired format (PNG recommended).
Later we will add more tools like “Resize images”, “Unclone” and more.
Helpinator’s Image Library allows you to add various shapes with text and arrows to your screenshots, making it easy to describe program UI. To enable it, first select image in the tree view, then select “Tools->Activate Shape Editor”. Then you should select style for the shapes, default is “Red and Yellow”, meaning red lines and arrows with yellow background. You can read more on how to create styles.
To add new shape:
1. Select it on the toolbar
2. Click anywhere on the image where you want to place it.
Helpinator allows you to capture screenshots of active windows with part of their background. Image Library serves as a storage for screenshots. There you can add annotation to screenshots and create clones. You can also assign category and automatically create topics for captured screenshots.
Mode – select what you want to do – capture new image or recapture image that already exists in the library.
If you choose to capture new image you have to specify File name format and category for image. You can use several predefined placeholders:
Caption of the captured window
Extension of the image format (see below)
If you choose to REcapture image you need to specify it in the drop-down list. Only background will be replaced, shapes will remain the same. You can use this trick to update cloned images easily. Here’s an article with detailed instructions:
– “Image Format” – specifies image format to store images to. You can select between PNG, BMP, JPEG and GIF.
– “Create topic” – if this option is checked then right after a window is stored to the library Helpinator creates topic with the same name containing captured image.
– “Append to topic” – if this option is checked and topic is selected from the drop-down list, Helpinator adds captured image to the end of the topic.
– “Background width” – specify what part of the active window background to capture along with the window itself. For example, if set to 30 pixels, then Helpinator will capture active window and surroundings with 30 pixels to the left, right, top and bottom. Set to 0 if you don’t want to capture background.
– “Background Effect” – select effect to apply to the background of the window. You can select from Blur, Darken, Pixelate and so on.
– “Drop shadow” – check this if you want active window to have a shadow on the background.
All this options combined allow you to take screenshots like this:
– “Hotkey” – select hotkey to trigger screen capture. Default is “Ctrl-Alt-S”
To start capturing images click on “Start” button.